Permanent Scientific Software Development Engineer WC/WS/1362
Job Status: Permanent
Start Date: ASAP
Interview Date: ASAP
Open To: EU Nationals or UK work permit holders
Job Overview: An engineering software development Company is seeking a Scientific Software Development Engineer to research and develop engineering models which will improve and better represent the physical modelling of oil and gas fields. Applicants are invited with a degree in Maths, Physics or Engineering combined with strong programming experience in C/C++ or/and Fortran. .Net capabilities would be useful. Working in a flat dynamic organisation that is highly respected, you will be supported throughout the development of your career.
The Company leads the way in developing and delivering state of the art petroleum engineering software products and technical support to the oil and gas industry. They have a broad range of clients worldwide, including all major operators as well as service and contract companies. The Head Office is based in Edinburgh, and they have regional offices in the USA and the Far East.
With 25 years’ experience and 50+ staff the Company is widely recognised within the international oil and gas industry as the technical market leader within Petroleum Engineering software development and for more than 8 years has been ranked number one in all technical evaluations across the industry.
Upon joining, you will receive 3-6 months minimum training in Petroleum Engineering principals and deepen your knowledge in the physics and engineering around oil field modelling. You will become competent in how the software is developed, how it is utilised by end clients, and how it is integrated with other client technologies.
You will work in a small team of scientific developers and gain rapid experience of the technologies and work practices. As you become more competent in the work practices and methodologies used, you will take responsibility for certain aspects of the development.
Responsibilities: Reporting to a Technical Director this role encompasses many functions;
• Become competent in the Company’s software solutions, work flows and practices.
o Algorithm development
o Interface design
o Software coding.
• Test the software toolkit in line with product development plans.
• Research and develop engineering models which will improve and better represent the physics and engineering principles for the modelling of oil and gas fields.
• Be proactive in understanding the challenges and constraints of the oil and gas exploration life cycle – especially in relation to petroleum engineering.
• Become competent in Clients’ work flows, data flows, and operability with other technologies.
• Work within agreed budget and on time scales.
This role is ideal for a scientific/analytical individual who enjoys devising technical solutions to address business needs. The role offers the opportunity to work alongside experienced developers and to further develop existing technologies and innovative solutions for a high tech Oil and Gas Industry.
Preferences: The successful candidate will have:
• Degree in Engineering, Mathematics or Physical Science essential, MSc or PhD preferred. A Petroleum Engineering background/understanding highly advantageous.
• A background in developing analytical/scientific software essential – the ability to apply your software development skills to address scientific problems is key.
• Strong C/C++ and/or Fortran programming experience essential. .Net highly advantageous.
• Highly analytical/methodical – the ability to understand the problem, the tools available and to deliver the solution.
• Independent thinker essential. The ability to understand the problem and think outside the box is key.
• Experience in the oil and gas or medical industries desirable.
• Proven experience working in a deadline-driven environment essential.
• Strong organisational skills essential.
• Excellent communications skills essential (both written and oral English), with the ability to listen and discuss technical matters in a clear and articulate manner.
Package: The Company offers a highly competitive package which includes salary, performance related bonuses, other benefits and relocation assistance where required. Dependent on skills and experience, a Salary of £45K – £60K is on offer.
To apply for this job:
1) Online – register Personal Details, Profile, relevant training/degree qualifications under “Education”, relevant skills under “Skills”. Upload your CV OR Email your CV to email@example.com with the Job Reference Number.
2) To be considered for this role, you will need to provide a focused Cover Letter outlining a) what relevant skills/experience and education you bring to the role and b) your availability/ start date.
Copyright © Working Smart 2015
WSL owns the copyright on all marketing materials written. If copyright is breached, they will take legal action.
3563 total views, 1 today