Permanent C/C++ Software Development Engineer – Maths Background WC/WS/1363
Job Status: Permanent
Start Date: ASAP
Interview Date: ASAP
Open To: EU Nationals or UK work permit holders
Job Overview: An engineering software development Company is seeking a C/C++ Software Development Engineer with excellent software development skills to work in the area of mathematical optimisation. You will research and develop engineering models which will improve the physical modelling of oil and gas fields and be responsible for the development and maintenance of optimisation engines. Applicants are invited with a maths background, experience in the field of mathematical optimisation combined with sound programming experience including, C or/and C++. Engineering domain knowledge is not required as full training will be provided. Working in a flat dynamic organisation that is highly respected, you will be supported throughout the development of your career.
The Company has 25 years’ experience and 50+ staff operating from their Head Office in Edinburgh, and regional offices in the USA and the Far East. They are the recognised market leader within Petroleum Engineering software development and for more than 8 years has been ranked number one in all technical evaluations across the industry. They have a broad range of clients worldwide, including all major operators as well as service and contract companies.
Typical problems can include optimisation of several hundred control variables against multiple multi-level constraints. Control variables may for example represent a valve opening or power supplied to a pump and are adjusted to maximise production or some other arbitrary objective function.
Upon joining, you will receive 3-6+ months training in Petroleum Engineering principals and deepen your knowledge in the physics and engineering around oil field modelling. Working in a small team of scientific developers, you will become competent in how the software is developed, how it is utilised by end clients, and how it is integrated with other client technologies.
Responsibilities: Reporting to a Technical Director this role encompasses many functions;
• Become competent in the Company’s software solutions, work flows and practices.
o Algorithm development
o Interface design
o Software coding.
• Test the software toolkit in line with product development plans.
• Research and develop engineering models which will improve and better represent the physics and engineering principles for the modelling of oil and gas fields.
• Be responsible for the development and maintenance of optimisation engines.
• Be proactive in understanding the challenges and constraints of the oil and gas exploration life cycle – especially in relation to petroleum engineering.
• Become competent in Clients’ work flows, data flows, and operability with other technologies.
• Work within agreed budget and on time scales.
This role is ideal for an individual with a good foundation in maths and development experience of optimisation techniques and who enjoys devising technical solutions to address business needs. The role offers the opportunity to work alongside experienced developers and to further develop existing technologies and innovative solutions for a high tech Oil and Gas Industry.
Preferences: The successful candidate will have:
• A demonstrable background in Mathematics essential MSc or PhD in Maths preferred.
• Proven experience in the field of non-linear optimisation essential.
• A background in developing analytical/scientific software preferred – the ability to apply your software development skills to address scientific problems is key.
• Strong C or/and C++ programming experience essential.
• Highly analytical/methodical – the ability to understand the problem, the tools available and to deliver the solution.
• Independent thinker essential – the ability think outside the box is key.
• Experience in the oil and gas or medical industries desirable.
• Proven experience working in a deadline-driven environment essential.
• An understanding of Petroleum Engineering workflows advantageous.
• Strong organisational skills essential.
• Excellent communications skills essential (both written and oral English), with the ability to listen and discuss technical matters in a clear and articulate manner.
Package: The Company offers a highly competitive package which includes salary, performance related bonuses, other benefits and relocation assistance where required. Dependent on skills and experience, a Base Salary of £40K – £60K is on offer. There may be some flexibility on Base Salary for a high calibre candidate.
To apply for this job:
1) Online – register Personal Details, Profile, relevant training/degree qualifications under “Education”, relevant skills under “Skills”. Upload your CV OR Email your CV to email@example.com with the Job Reference Number.
2) To be considered for this role, you will need to provide a focused Cover Letter outlining what relevant skills/experience and education you bring to the role.
Copyright © Working Smart 2015
WSL owns the copyright on all marketing materials written. If copyright is breached, they will take legal action.
3516 total views, 1 today